Thursday, July 24, 2014

Higher Education Sunday, Cascade United Methodist Church, Atlanta


This past Sunday I was the speaker at my "home" church, Cascade United Methodist in Southwest Atlanta. There were probably 50 college students in attendance for the service, attending schools all across the country. Cascade always produces strong students.

 
 
My topic was "Do The Work: The Gospel According to Iyanla." The text came from Proverbs 22:1-16. The foundation is Proverbs 22:6 which of course is a famous one- train up a child in the way that they should go so that when they are old they won't stray from it. I offered thoughts for students, parents, and the church about the work they must do.

 
The bonus was seeing Dr. Samuel DuBois Cook, 4th president of Dillard who served for 22 years. He often attended Cascade when he retired when my father was senior pastor. So it was cool seeing him and his wife. He recently turned 85!
 
The Prez